By Rutchie C. Aguhob
CLARIN, Misamis Occidental, June 22 (PIA) — More than 100 advocates of the Family Welfare Program (FWP) from Region 10 gathered here for the 19th Annual Convention of the Federation of Family Welfare Committees (FFWC), set June 21 to 23 this year.
Focused on the theme “Strong FWP Amidst Political, Economic, and Climate Change,” the activity aims to discuss the family welfare component as a major issue of concern and action of the family welfare committee (FWCs), whose members belong to the management and workers of the various establishments in the region.
“We all know that the family is the basic unit of society and we find the relationship with each of the members very significant, not only in their lives but also in their work and their environment,” Atty. Johnson G. Caňete, Regional Director of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Region 10, said.
He said the FWP seeks to introduce the concept of promoting the welfare of workers and their families as a key to workplace productivity and improved worker-management relations.
“It is an advocacy program that draws corporate support in promoting workers’ quality of life by adopting a family-centered approach in the workplace,” he also said.
On the other hand, the FWP advocates for the integration of the following dimensions that serve as guide to its implementation: reproductive health and responsible parenthood, education/gender equality, spirituality or value formation, income generation/livelihood/cooperative; medical health care, nutrition, environment protection, hygiene and sanitation, sports and leisure, housing, and transportation.
Meanwhile, Jose R. Robles, Provincial Director of DOLE-Mis. Occ., said the FWP aims to promote plant level initiatives to contribute to the goals of the Philippine Population Management Program (PPMP) and install family planning/family welfare consciousness among labor and management.
As of the latest development, a total of 635 establishments were assisted by DOLE-10 through technical, referral, and other services relating to Article 134 of the Labor Code and the FWP.
Of this number, 503 or 79 percent of the establishments have FWCs while the other 132 or 21 percent, have yet to establish their own.
Likewise, a total of 157,287 workers were provided with FWP-related services/activities, of which 62,584 or 62 percent are women.
Again, 138,830 or 88 percent are working in establishments employing 200 or more workers, while 18,457 or 12 percent are working in establishments employing less than 200 workers.
About 1174,972 or 73 percent of these workers were directly assisted through DOLE-initiated/conducted services/activities and the other 42,315 workers or 27 percent, through company-initiated services/activities.
Discussions during the three-day confab included topics on environmental crisis and its effects on the family and community, to raise the awareness of the participants on the environmental situation and be able to implement programs or projects that relate to it.
It also discussed “parenting,” to strengthen family relations, and “leadership” to develop an effective leader in the implementation of the FWP in their establishments.
Also included is the topic on “Managing Your Money After Retirement,” to plan and to be able to properly manage resources, and the “Best FWP Practices” to acquire knowledge on the basics of the small and medium enterprises management. (PIA 10, Mis. Occ.)