3 new suspected MERSCoV cases registered in Region 9
ZAMBOANGA City–The Department of Health (DOH) Regional Office-9 has registered as of Friday three new suspected cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Corona Virus (MERS-CoV) in the region.
Dr. Venus Fortuna, DOH regional infectious control cluster head, disclosed that all of the patients of the three new suspected cases are on home quarantine.
“We have three new persons under investigation. We call them persons under investigation if they had been to the Middle East and then they showed signs and symptoms such as fever, cough or flu-like symptoms,” Fortuna explained.
She said swab samples were already taken from them and sent to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Manila for laboratory analysis.
She disclosed that they have registered a total of 15 suspected cases, including the three on home quarantine, from October 15-31.
She said the RITM had already cleared 12 of the suspected cases.
Fortuna said efforts to prevent the entry and spread of MERS-CoV were ongoing, including the setting up of a health station at the Zamboanga International Airport.
She said arriving passengers, especially those coming from abroad, are requested to fill up a checklist to determine whether or not they have signs and symptoms of MERSCoV.
“It is aimed to instill awareness. If they show symptoms, they know what to do and where to go,” she added. (MindaNews)